IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Vrij University Medical Center (“VUMC”, “we”, "us", or “our”) is committed to protecting your privacy when you access www.ms-pml.org. Processing of your personal data is carried out in accordance with our services and in compliance with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”). We developed this website and keep it running with funding from Biogen Idec International GmbH (“Biogen”), however we do not share any personal data with Biogen.
In addition, under the GDPR:
- ‘personal data’ means any information relating to you and that identifies you, directly or indirectly;
- ‘processing’ means any operation or set of operations which is performed on personal data or on sets of personal data.
1. Why we collect your personal data?
We collect your data for the following purposes:
- Provide, maintain and monitor the Website;
- Improve the Website;
- Allow you to participate in interactive features on the Website;
- Contact you in response to a query;
- Send you information about the Website and the learning tool; and/or
- Detect, prevent and address technical issues.
For purposes relating to the functioning and improving of the Website, we do not collect data from which you are personally identifiable.
2. What information we collect
In order to carry out the purposes outlined above, we collect:
- your email address;
- full name;
- your country of residence;
- information relating to your communication preferences;
- IP address and surrounding information about your usage of the website.
3. How we use your personal data
Where you have provided us with your details via the sign-up form, we store this on our database to enable us to record your communication preferences and administer our relationship with you.
Where we collect details relating to your use of the Website, we do not link this data to you and cannot identify you from that data.
4. Our legal basis for processing your personal data
We can process your data based on:
- Your consent (to send you email updates and information);
- Our legitimate interests (to improve and administer the Website through, for example, offering you the option to complete a survey once your browser has detected that you have been on the Website for a particular period of time);
- A legal obligation; and/or
- A contractual relationship;
Where you sign up to receive updates on the sign-up page (https://ms-pml.org/user_mgt/sign_up), we rely on your consent in order to send you those communications.
5. Security of your personal data
The security of your data is important to us, but please note that no method of transmission over the internet or method of electronic storage is completely secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your data, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
6. Retention of your data
We store your information for as long as is necessary in order to carry out the purposes outlined above.
We also collect data on the location of the user in order to check this against the number of patients with PML in the corresponding location.
8. Your rights
You have many rights under the GDPR, including the:
- Right of access
You have the right to know what information we hold about you and to ask to see your records.
We will supply any information you ask for that we hold about you as soon as possible, but this may take up to one calendar month. You will be asked for proof of identity.
- Right to be informed
You have the right to be informed how your personal data will be used. This policy, as well as any additional information or notice that is provided to you either at the time you provided your details, or otherwise, is intended to provide you with this information.
- Right to withdraw consent
Where we process your data based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw that consent.
- Right to object
You have the right to object to us processing data where we are relying on it being within our legitimate interests to do so.
- Right to restrict processing
You may request that we restrict the processing of your personal data, in some cases.
- Right of erasure
You may request that we erase the data we hold about you from our database, in some cases.
- Right of rectification
You may ask for inaccurate records about you to be corrected.
- Right to data portability
You may ask us to transfer your data somewhere else, where we rely on your consent.
9. Use of third-party websites
We have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy policies or practices of any third-party sites or services.
You are entitled to make a complaint to the supervisory authority which deals with data protection matters in your Member State (the European Data Protection Board provides a search feature to find your authority here).
11. Contact us
For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We may update our Privacy Notice from time to time. Please periodically check this page for any updates.